Thursday, May 29, 2008

First Bottle

Today Maddie had her first bottle of breastmilk. I used my Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breastpump to fill her a bottle. This breastpump is a huge improvement over the Avent hand pump that I used for many months with Anna. It is easy to use, easy to clean and all of the parts fit perfectly into the backpack. (As a side note, anyone who works for or has a spouse that works for IBM is able to get one half price through the work/life program.) The bottles we chose to use with Madelyn are made by Born Free. With all of the hype over baby bottles these days, we went with these because they offer glass bottles as well as plastic bottles that are Bisphenol-A free. For Maddie's first bottle, I used a Born Free 5 ounce glass bottle with a level 1 nipple. It only took a minute before Maddie started chugging away and drank 2.5 ounces.

I'm not sure how often I'll use bottles with Madelyn, but it is nice to know that it is now an option. My husband will be able to feed her if he wants and it gives us a little more freedom to leave Madelyn with someone. I plan to try out the plastic bottle soon as well since it will be better for traveling.

No comments: