Friday, July 18, 2008

Baby-wearing

Before Maddie was born I had this idea that I was going to be a baby-wearer. I thought it would be super convenient to carry Maddie in a sling or Baby Bjorn around the house so that my hands were free to play with Anna. I had read great things about how happy babies are in slings and to me it all seemed ideal - especially since I already had both pieces of gear from Anna. So far this has not become reality. The several times I have tried Maddie in either she has cried. I'm not sure if it is because she likes to be carried facing outward so that she can observe everyone around her or if I haven't given it enough time for her to get accustomed to it (to me, it's hard to give it more than 5 minutes when she is so close and screaming in my ear). I'll probably give it another shot or two (any advice??) but most likely the sling will be retired and the Bjorn will be put away until we can put Maddie in there facing forward in a month or two. Anna loved it this way, hopefully Maddie will too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found baby wearing to definitely be a learned skill for both Mom and baby, but it can be rewarding. I really only tried a ring sling. Here are some tips on how to use the cradle position where the baby can look out of the sling and not be tummy to tummy. You may be able to apply this to your sling even if it is not a ring style.

KangarooKorner - look at the cradle position and kangaroo carry under the ring-style slings.
https://www.kangarookorner.com/wearing.aspx?t=wearingPaddedCradle

http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=88

http://www.thebabywearer.com has so much info it may be hard to find what is helpful.