Friday, March 16, 2007

Getting back in shape

Prior to being released from the hospital after Anna's birth, the nurse brought in a scale to weigh me. Pregnant women get weighed so often that it isn't really a big deal - but I was not prepared for what was about to happen. During pregnancy I gained about 35 pounds, Anna was born at 8 pounds 2 ounces plus the placenta and all the other gook. Yet when I got on the scale I had only lost 5 pounds!! Something didn't quite add up.

It has now been one full year since I went to the gym (and yes I'm still paying my membership in hopes that I will return :( ). I now know why books tell you not to expect to return to your "normal" weight within a few months and it is often said 9 months up, 9 months down. With breastfeeding a woman needs to keep up her caloric intake and after such a big break from exercise, its not easy to return to a regular aerobics class. So for now, I'll just keep walking and hopefully the weight will gradually slide off :).

No comments: