Saturday, August 28, 2010

What's in the Bible

Our bible story to go along with our 'A' lessons has been Adam and Eve. There were some great crafts to go along with the lesson on Lapbook Lessons that include everything from writing sheets to finger puppets. I also decided to introduce the girls to the first of the new Phil Vischer (creator of Veggie Tales) video What's in the Bible.


I had assumed the first DVD was mainly about creation and Adam and Eve but I was happily surprised that this first DVD focused on "What is the Bible" and "Who wrote the Bible" as well as had a brief summary of the first 11 chapters of Genesis. In this first video Phil Vischer is the narrator and he and his puppet friends use their witty humor to teach the kids about the bible. There is lots of teaching about church history "from Jesus to Billy Graham" and even talks about the Apocrypha (books that can be found in some catholic bibles but not in the protestant bible) which I did not even hear about until college. Vischer attempts to explain why some Christians believe the earth is 6,000 years old and some believe it is billions of years old and how that answer doesn't matter as much as the fact that God created the earth. With concepts such as these, I thought for sure the girls were going to lose interest but when it was over Anna said "I love the bible!".

There was one section of the video that made me cringe. To navigate from the first section of the video to the second, they use a little boy who is riding in the car with his mom. I find his comments to his mom very belittling - he even tells her the DVD doesn't go into the air conditioning vent, it goes in the slot marked DVD. I thought in these few minute the humor went over on the rude side and I certainly didn't want my 2 and 3 year old picking up any ideas.

Everything else about the video I enjoyed. I want Erik to take a look at it to see if there's anything else he doesn't like about it and then hopefully we'll be able to watch the second one, "Let My People Go", as we talk about Moses in a few weeks.

No comments: