Thursday, June 12, 2008

A better nighttime routine makes for a happier mommy

For the past week we have had a consistent bedtime routine which seems to be working much better for us. Previously we were putting Anna to bed at 7:30 and then I would promptly start nursing Madelyn in order to keep her from crying. Madelyn would inevitably cry and then Anna would start crying, so then we had two little ones to comfort. I would then take Madelyn to her room, close the door and sit there in the dim light for 2 to 3 hours rocking and nursing, rocking and nursing. Usually around the 2 1/2 hour mark I would be in tears pleading with Maddie to go to sleep. It was a routine that I knew I could not maintain physically or emotionally. It was time to try something else. This week we moved Anna's bedtime a little later (between 8 and 8:30) and she is now so tired that she is going to bed faster and not being disturbed if Maddie cries. Around 9:00, my husband has been giving Maddie a bottle (~4 ounces) and puts her to bed. I then have some time to straighten up around the house and prepare for the following day before going to bed. These changes have made nighttime more enjoyable for me. I know things will probably soon change as Madelyn continues to develop but for now this is working great for us.

No comments: