Friday, March 5, 2010

What is Easter?


We found this book tucked away on the shelves at our neighborhood used book store, sadly it looked like it had never been read. The book starts off by asking

Is Easter about hunting eggs?
I do that every year.
Does it mean eating chocolate stuff?
I ate my bunny's ear.


After going through several other things that children often do at Easter it goes on to say

Easter means much more than that.
It's all about God's son.
See, God sent Jesus down to earth
To die for everyone.


I like how this book acknowledges that egg hunts, eating chocolate bunnies and jelly beans and dressing up in your "sunday best" are all fun but declares Easter's not about that stuff...It's all about God's son.

As I write every year, my family's long-standing (i.e. before I was born) tradition for Easter is to all meet in Jacksonville, Florida at the Ponte Vedra Inn. This year we'll have 25 people as we celebrate the tradition and spend our last year there. There you wake up to an easter basket at your door, across the street they have an easter egg hunt with colorful eggs, a parade of all the children in their bonnets and white patent leather shoes and Sunday easter buffets complete with ice sculptures of bunnies. While all of this is fun (and I'm so thankful to my dad and grandfather for keeping such a tradition) it is easy to miss in all of the hustle and bustle what easter is really about. I pray this year the girls would start to have an understanding that it really is all about God's son.

No comments: