Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back to Rhyme Time

After over a year break we finally made our way back to the North Regional Library for Rhyme Time. One big change is that Rhyme Time (0-2 years) is now offered several times a day on Tuesday through Fridays.

I was a little worried how Maddie would do during Rhyme Time. I pictured her running away and going through another mom's purse. I then had visions of her crying when I pulled her out of that mom's purse and tried to get both girls to exit before we caused too much of a scene. Much to my surprise, we had quite a different experience.

We went on Tuesday at 9:30 and it was packed! We were one of the last to receive a ticket to attend at that time. When we walked in Maddie started having some anxiety; she clutched onto my shirt and started fussing. I really think she thought I was going to leave her. We finally found a spot on the floor and Maddie started feeling more comfortable. As the program went along Maddie started clapping when a song would finish and cheering with the other kids. Rather than running away from me, Maddie only seemed comfortable to take 2 or 3 steps away before turning around and coming back to my lap. When it was time for bubbles, Maddie squealed in delight as she chased them around the room. The time there for Maddie was a success.

I'm not sure what Anna thought of Rhyme Time; she was definitely one of the oldest kids in the room (there is storytime for 3's, 4's and 5's). For the first time, Anna was familiar with some of the tunes that were sung and she was content just to sit and watch all that was going on. Anna's highlight came after Rhyme Time when she got to check out 2 books and take them home. I think we are going to make more of an effort to attend in the future!

No comments: