Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Mom's Weekend

This past weekend I had the opportunity to have a mom's weekend away at one of my girlfriend's lake house. My husband graciously volunteered to watch the girls so I took off from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. There were 6 of us and we spent the time reading magazines on the dock and learning more about each other. We, of course, also spent much of the time talking about our kids.

I've heard some people say that when you are "away" you should avoid talk about your kids but I think talking about Anna and Maddie and sharing joys, achievements and frustrations was exactly what I needed. I needed to step away from the day to day grind to miss them and appreciate the girls' individual God given personalities. To hear stories from friends to know they are going through the exact thing same that I am. To laugh together about parenting "mistakes" which helps heal those old wounds. It wasn't a time to forget about what we were leaving behind, but a time of appreciation and rememberance.

No comments: