Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Resolved

Resolve, to decide firmly on a course of action. The theme for our church for 2010-2011 is Resolved, All in and Pressing Forward. Each week we've been looking at different areas of our lives that we need to be resolved about, this past Sunday was our kids.

I was challenged by this question, is making Anna and Maddie a disciple of Christ a top priority in my life? Do I pray for them with diligence for their present and their future? Am I spending quality time with them? Is my life (not just my lips) showing them who I worship?

On Monday I opened up a book entitled Disciple Like Jesus for Parents: Following Jesus' Method and Enjoying the Blessings of Children that I received for Christmas that was the perfect companion to the Sunday sermon. It too challenged me:
Most of us do a great job of providing adequate food, clothing, shelter, and protection. But do you provide the protection, teaching, and nurture required of a faithful shepherd? Do you personally take your children out into the world and show them how to live the Christian life? Do you lead them to places of solitude from a dangerous and busy world? Do you personally deliver words of life to your children?

The writers go on to say
Teaching your children to obey the commands of Christ is more than teaching doctrine. It is more than the transfer of information. This teaching involves applying doctrine to their hearts that they might obey.

I tend to be one that often focuses on merely the transfer of information rather than the transformation of the heart. SO much to contemplate here and I'm clinging hold of James 1:5,

"If any of you lacks wisdom let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him"

But while I'm still learning I can still be resolved, DECIDING what path I am going to take; using my might and not settle to life's excuses. May we all be resolved for our kids.

You can listen to the sermon here.

No comments: